My parents came to visit us in the last part of May and early June. We had a great time showing them around the Black Forest, hanging out with my dad’s cousin and his wife, and heading up to Northern Germany to visit Andreas’ family. Mom, dad, and I also checked out Salzburg where we did a salt mine tour and the Sound of Music tour, something my mom has wanted to do for a while.
Here are the photos. They show:
- Our trip to Stein-am-Rhein, Konstanz and the Island of Mainau. My friend Rudolf lives in Konstanz with his family. He spent a lot of time with my parents when he lived in Canada, so they were happy to see each other after almost twenty years (gasp!). The Island of Mainau is lovely and has the best playground in the world, according to Kai. There is a little river system in the playground and the kids can stand on rafts and punt them around. Kai fell in of course, but there was even a clothes dryer there!
- Showing Mom, Dad, Norm and Lynne around Freiburg. Kai pulled his boat through the Bächle and Grandpa had to keep up.
- A day trip to Luzern.
- Our trip to Kiel to visit Conny and Karsten. We looked at submarines, boats and locks. Kai and Grandpa were happy. (There is a theme emerging here)
- Our trip to Hamburg to visit Christiane. We tour a city tour, a harbour tour and visited Miniatur Wunderland which made Kai and Grandpa happy. (Theme there, again)
- Our trip to Salzburg to visit the salt mine and do the Sound of Music tour which was actually not all that kitschy and was quite informative!